fot

Re: 5 speed conversion

To: TRBILBO@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:58:27 -0600
TRBILBO@aol.com wrote:

> Sorry to post twice on the same subject....but for the visually inclined like
> me I'va attached a print ad of the 5 speed conversion. This too came from
> ebay with an opening bid price of $1175.
>
> Add reads: "This is a brand new kit to convert a Triumph TR-6(TR-250) to a
> modern Toyota Supra five speed gearbox. Kit includes new
> bellhousing, clutch disc, speedo cable, rear mount, shifter, and good used
> gearbox. Mounts in car without any bod modifications."
>
> See attachment for jpg photo of complete unit.
>
> Comments? I promise I won't post anymore photos on the subject....but this
> really caught my racers eye. hmmmmm. (Two more hours to land in LAX ....)
>
> Anyone bidding? (I buy cars for these prices....not transmissions).
>
> Bill Burroughs, #195 TR4A IRS
> E Ticket Triumphs

>  [Image]

Here's my second post on this subject, too, and also my promise to sit down and
shut up after this post.

I've constructed an Excel spreadsheet that lists all TR ratios, all Toyota
ratios, and the percentage differences between the ratios. Interesting to
technophiles, maybe, but I can't send it out to the list because Mark's software
doesn't allow attachments of this size. If you want a copy, email me and I'll
return it to you.

The conclusions that I draw from it, all of which may be wrong, of course, are:

1. If you currently run an overdrive and STANDARD TR gears, the Toyota STANDARD
box gives you the same approximate gaps 3-4-5 as with your TR 3-4-od.

2. If you currently run OD and TR CLOSE ratios, you CANNOT duplicate the TR od
and standard ratios, but you can play with the TR OD ratios on the intermediate
gears and make your own interpretation

3. If you run a NON-OD standard box (like I do), and replace with a Toyota CLOSE
RATIO box and use the same diff ratio as you do now, the Toyota gearbox will
give
you about the same ratio gaps between 3- 4-5 as a TR close ratio box will give
you between 2-3-4.

The list price for the kit is $1162 not including gearbox. Let's say that the
kit
sells on eBay for $1000 and that it costs $500 for a Toyota close ratio box
(think you can get a pull-apart to correctly identify a CR box vs a std one?),
giving a conversion cost of $1500.

If I was going to spend $1500 on a gearbox conversion, I would want ratios like
you get with a CLOSE RATIO TR trans with OD. I don't think you can get that with
this Toyota conversion.

--

uncle jack

The Attorney General advises that vintage racing may be hazardous to your
wealth.