fot

Re: 5 speed conversion

To: Bill Sohl <billsohl@pop.mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:03:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Bill Sohl wrote:

> jaboruch wrote:
> > Jack et all, I am running a chevy T5 transmission in may car, out of a
> > chevy Chevette.  It is the same tranny as in some of the V8 powered

[stuff deleted]

> This sounds like a very interesting "conversion" that
> might have appeal beyond that of just the racing
> TR folks.  It would make a great "tech article" for
> the clubs.

I agree.

But I want to ask an obvious question, possibly one that may have been
discussed before...

A. Has anyone ever seen a non-Triumph bell housing used on a "big TR"?

B. Put another way, wouldn't a cheap scattershield (like from a
small-block Chevy, for instance) be easily adapted to a Tractor TR?

Considering "B", you would need a modified or new rear engine plate. The
starter, flywheel (and ring gear) would not relocate, and you could even
go nuts and make the plate out of aluminium to save a little weight.

I suppose it's more work than hacking a TR bellhousing and TIG welding in
a mount plate for the tranny, but the advantage would be a real scatter
shield instead of the other stuff that folks have considered (e.g. the
ballistic blanket and so forth.)

I'm not trying to downplay those other solutions - just wondering if
anyone else sees that there's more than one way to "skin the cat", so to
speak.

> Cheers,
> Bill Sohl

later,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |