fot

Re: Realistically speaking

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Realistically speaking
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@pop.mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:12:39 +0000
Mordy wrote:
> Renting any track is probably duable with enough coin (gold coin..).  We
> (fot) are not a recognized organization  nor sanctioned to run any race.  I
> would hazard to guess that any insurance underwriter would not take kindely
> to us.  Unless we get a tax exempt racing club charter with by-laws
> /dues/...and elected board members.
>
>  I'm not sure how other groups do it  i.e. the POC (porsche owners club..) .
> My wife used to race her 911 in this group and ran Watkins, Mossport and
> others.....I should just ask her how much it cost..   She chided me me some
> time ago that the Porsche peope spent substantially more $ than the TR
> types...

I have been involved with local clubs renting tracks for such
events here in theeast some years back.  I don't think the insurance
issue is that difficult to overcome as event insurance can be
bought on a per/event basis.

>  I think that the only way for us to get any reasonable safe track is to do
> it under the auspices of a Sanctioning / vintage race club. Preferrably a
> club that has some leverage and one that finds it in their interest to
> assist us....Especially, if it was billed as a speciallty unique marque
> event allowing them to make $ at the gate.     It does not matter which
> vintage race club (to me)  as long as they allow us to play and have a GOOD
> time racing...

I agree.  Better to build off another groups expertise than starting
out the gate with no background.

> If  I have to tow a couple thousand miles, take three days and 300 gals of
> diesel (one way) -paying a a premium to race is not the issue...SEAT TIME
> IS.

EXACTLY.  That is the precisely what I think everyone wants.

> Corporate sponsorship is something to look at  ..but, which ?  I'm tired of
> bugging the usual suspects.

Agree also.  Better to just foot the bill ourselves and not be
beholden to others anyway.  Toss out the trophies too, since
it is the experience we all seem to want more than anything.
Better to have a small plaque than something expensive.

Cheers.
Bill Sohl