fot

RE: Commission plate Query

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Commission plate Query
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:32:24 -0800
What I know - For what it's worth:

Your vehicle must comply with the law at the time of it's manufacture.
Modern cars do display the VIN in the windshield.

Early Triumphs ( to at least 1965 - my youngest) have only an aluminum
commission plate pop riveted to the scuttle inside the engine bay.

Most US produced cars had the number stamped on the frame somewhere.

I have titled my TR4A in three states. The State Patrol (police) usually
inspect the car to verify the number on the car matches the number on the
previous title (ownership certificate). Both states I moved to would not
believe that only the small aluminum plate identified the car.

I brought owners manuals, workshop manuals, parts manuals, the BMIHT
Certificate, etc. to verify the only location of the commission number.

My advice would be to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state
you will be moving to. Explain what you are doing and ask what will be
required to title the car in that state.

Most of them have websites now. Here is California's: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Search the web with: "[state] Department of Motor Vehicles" and you should
find the site.

Good Luck!

Brad
65 TR4A
62 TR4

I understand that cars in the USA are required, by law, to have an their
Commssion number (VIN on modern cars) visible from the outside of the
vehicle?

I believe that it is usually on a small metal plate located to the bottom
left hand corner of the screen.

I would be grateful if you could kindly share your knowledge with me on
this?
I am bringing my Triumph with me when I move to the States, and wish to
comply with whatever legislation is applicable to my 1963 car.

Thank You

Lion F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
Wimbledon, London, England.