fot

Re: Commission plate Query

To: Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Re: Commission plate Query
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@pop.mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:57:39 +0000
Andy wrote:
> In a message dated 2/17/01 10:39:50 PM EDT, billsohl@pop.mindspring.com
> writes:
>
> > The display of such plates began with the 1980 model year.  There
> >  was no requirement for visible display for vehicles manufactured
> >  before 1980.  You will not have to do anything to your 1963 car as it
> >  is old enough to preceed any of the federal laws regarding auto\
> >  manufacture.
>
> Bill, I suspect what you're thinking of is perhaps some sort of
> "standardized" location of the VIN plate, coincidental with the introduction
> of that 17-digit coded VIN. The original mandated display of VIN visible
> through the windshield began with the 1969 model year. I know that partially
> because right after my dad got his '69 Mk3 (which had such a plate on the LHS
> windscreen post), I began considering a Mk3 of my own. I looked at several
> '68 Mk3's, none of which had the VIN number duplicated on the windscreen
> frame as did the '69.
> --Andy Mace

Andy,

Yes, now that I recall, you have it correct.  A 69 TR-6
I owned had the visible VIN on the drivers windscreen
side but non was needed on the 68 TR-250s.  1980
was the start of the standardized VIN numbering
system.  Luckily for Leon, his '63 preceeds the implementation
of both.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl