fot

synchro rings

To: "'FOT@AUTOX.TEAM.NET'" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: synchro rings
From: Richard Good <goodparts@redrose.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:50:30 -0400
I have some NOS TR6 synchro rings and some new thin ones. When placed on
a used gear the NOS ring left a .045" gap to the gear. The thin ring
rode closer to the gear leaving only .035" gap. I also noticed a
difference in the tapered contact surfaces. The surface of the thin ring
was machined to leave only very sharp edges to contact the tapered
surface of the gear but the NOS rings had some flat surface left to
contact. I would expect much greater life from the NOS ring. Checking a
pile of used OE rings revealed some that still had about .035" gap. I
guess I would feel better about using one of those rather than a new
thin one if the teeth still look good.

Richard Good