fot

TWS Marvelous May Races

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TWS Marvelous May Races
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:12:37 -0500
FOT,
Since today is the day for race reports, I'll fill you all in on the CVAR
races this weekend. FOT with cars in attendance:
Jeff Wilt, TR3A
Susan Hensley, Spitfire
John Price, TvR Vixen (TR6)
BK, TR4
FOT, sans cars:
Richard Hardison, EP TR3A, "almost finished"
Jim McAndrew, EP TR3 under restoration, Daytona Continental history
Brad Kahler, EP TR3 for 2002
Justin Wagner, jus' vistin'
Rick Junkermeirer, CP TR6 under restoration

First let me thank Justin for bringing me a new valve cover gasket. I
destroyed my first one by removing it while hot. I can read, why didn't I?
Also thanks go out to Brad for bringing me a set of NOS Yokohama 008R's. New
as in lots of rubber left, Old as in no longer sticky! They will be mounted
and used for warmup so that I can save my last goos set of tires and hope
for help from the tire gods. Anyone want a set of widened stock TR wheels?
Brad made me take them with the tires...

Back to the racing. The weather was great, but hot all weekend. We'd start
the day in the low 70's, and end up in the upper 90's. Great track
conditions, but rather exhausting. We had 4 cars spread out in 3 groups.
Jeff had lot's of fun in Group 4, running with the Formula Juniors. He's got
a hankering for an O/D to go with the 4.10 gears to get more out of the car
down the long straight. He ran well all weekend, but really needs to get off
those street tires. John Price took out his TR6 powered TVR for the second
time, and with a few tweeks to the engine and a tire pressure adjustment,
brought his times down dramatically. Pretty car, which can go a whole lot
faster. Susan was not so lucky. Her engine sputtered and died, and the
resulting collection of bent pushrods put her on the trailer. Persisitence,
patience, fortitude, and money, yeah that's what makes a vintage racer. Hang
in there Susan, it'll come. You may remember me asking the group about
addding a front spoiler to my TR4. I was hitting a wall on the TWS front
straight watching the MagGots pull away. I'm here today to tell you that
between pinning down the front of the bonnet and adding a TR6 front spoiler,
I no longer have that problem. It's a joy to stay with the pack down the
straight. Although I continue to struggle with a high rpm fuel starvation, I
was able to stay with the lead group much of the time. Reeled off a 2:06
lap, when the leaders were doing 2:04's. Finished 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th in
my races, with 30 in the group. Yes, I am having fun.

CVAR continues to grow. The groups are fielding larger and larger numbers,
and we continue to have safe events. The only incidnet of merit all weekend
that resulted in damage occured when an MGB, misssed a shift and hit the
grass driving straight through a sand embankment. Quite a cloud. He lost
both front and rear valances, a few scrapes and bruises. That's about it.

Bob Kramer
TR6, TR4A, TR4, 2.5PI
Hill Country Triumph Club
Corinthians Vintage Auto Racing