fot

Re: TWS Marvelous May Races

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, <N197TR4@cs.com>, <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TWS Marvelous May Races
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:55:12 -0500
Joe, and other FOT,

Sorry you had to use that GoJo. I'm sure it's just a new engine "teething"
thing, and you can leave it at home from now on. I used the Wagner gasket
for a while, eventually cutting and splicing it down to size. The new one
will go in the ice water as he recommends. FYI, Justin brought me a new one,
and tried to give it to me as a free replacement, even though it was my
fault. That's what kind of guy he is! Thanks' Justin.

My fuel problem is a little odd and shows up at 2 places on the track. It
happens coming down the hill while going left then right in turn 8 and 9,
right before and all the way through the Carosel. The car gets tossed quite
a bit in the turns and in the extreme braking for the Carosel. It also
happens at the top end on the straight. I'm hitting 6200 rpm in 3rd,
shifting to 3rd OD and going back to 6200 rpm for the shift and O/D
disengagement to 4th. Everything is fine until I shift to 4th, then it bogs
down.  I need to check the pistons and needles. In both problem areas on the
track, I suspect that the piston is dropping and closing down my airflow and
fuel supply. I watched the fuel pressure gauge (on the straight) and I'm
comfortable that it's not a pressure drop. I wonder if maybe the carb's are
just a little too loose, or even a needle moving about in it's locating
bore? Maybe I need to lighten up the second set of return springs. What do
you think?

FWIW, I checked my valve clearances, and they were perfect. I rotated the
float bowl covers 180 degrees and that appeared to help, but since the
problem came and went, I don't think that is where the problem lies. One
more point, it doesn't happen until after 4 or 5 laps, i.e. it's heat
related.

CVAR rules are 1972 SCCA GCR and PCS. In 72 they allowed a spoiler no wider
than the midpoint of the tires and no more than 3" below the bodywork.
Although the TR6 spoiler didn't quite fit, it proved it's worth. I'm
curious, do other vintage organizations tie their rules to an SCCA rulebook
year?

Art Summerville asked me if I thought Bill Dentinger might come to the race
at Hallet. CVAR fumbled a bit this year and the October race normally at TWS
was switched to Hallet, near Tulsa. It's freshly paved, and should be great
weather. I'd like to encourage any and all FOT to put October 27-28 on their
calendars and join us. You are probably closer than I am!

Bob Kramer
TR6, TR4A, TR4, 2.5PI
Hill Country Triumph Club
Corinthians Vintage Auto Racing