fot

RE: 1500 head needed

To: "'spitlist@gte.net'" <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: 1500 head needed
From: Russ Moore <rem@CBORD.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:12:25 -0400
Probably a neat project, but the question of why comes to mind. The Spit
engine has technology and metallurgy that dates back to the "Great Flood".
Not that I condone it, but why not get a more modern lump to exploit and
place it into the Spit? Of course the next issue will be the diff tossing
it's cookies, followed shortly thereafter by the tranny. Cooling and
inadequate lubrication will also need to be addressed. Not a small nor an
inexpensive venture.
Those components including the engine internals were not initially designed
for pushing huge horsepower, in fact they came from (sorry Andy!) the
Herald, which some folks actually liked. In fact the later developed FK
prefix 1300 and the FM prefix 1500cc engines had very weak bottom ends, more
so than the earlier FC 1147's and the FE 1296's. Will the stock AE pistons
stand the stress of a blower, or are you going to forged? Too much power or
rpm with one of those later lumps and they become a pile of scrap. Be
especially cautious of the thrustwashers in the large crank engines. Once
they migrate southward the fuse is lit.
Best of luck with your project.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49