fot

VTR National in Breckenridge

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: VTR National in Breckenridge
From: Susan Hensley <racespit@netzero.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:35:21 -0500
Hi all!

Just back from Breckenridge (9 pm Sunday) -- we are SO glad to be home!
After towing
the new acquisition and driving the Spit, we are tired puppies!  Thank
goodness for overdrive and cruise control in the Spit!  Plus, it took a
concours award for Spitfire 4 -- looks like first place!  (We haven't
found out officially yet.)

New acquisition, you say?  Oh -- that!  You won't be seeing it on the
autocross course or the race circuit, but hang out at the marina next
year down here at Lake Ray Hubbard and you just might see us in our new
Amphicar!!!  It was a huge hit at the car show.  It has a Herald 1147
engine, which makes it a Triumph "Special" or something...  ;)

Quick notes about FOT attendees -- lots of them showed up!  Joe (a), Joe
(c), mjb, Bob Bownes, John Lye, Irv Korey and son, Jim Hill, Vern
Brannon (I met him in person for the first time -- neat guy!  He likes
the Devin we sold him, and brought the Macau Spit and a 2500 PI
saloon.), Kent Howard, Ted Schumacher, Duncan Wood, Randall Young, Bob
Kramer (who stopped in for the day Friday after dropping his car at the
track), Henry & Helen Frye, Brad and myself.  If I have forgotten
someone who was there, please forgive and correct me!  My brain is mush
and I am still vibrating from the 12 hours spent in a Spitfire today...

The dynamic trio of Bownes, Bradakis and Lye all vied for FTD at the
autocross, but were thwarted by the cones that kept leaping in front of
their cars (pictures coming soon!).  They each had scores in the
36-second range (within tenths of each other), but each of them had two
cones on their runs, which kept any of them from taking FTD (I think the
average time was about 45 seconds...).  FTD actually went to Joe (c) the
last I heard, with a 38-second clean run in the beautifully-prepped Tiny
Tim.  mjb offered me runs in Killer (who really IS! -- THANK YOU
Mark!!), and after arm-twisting by just about everyone, I accepted -- I
collected lots of cones on the first run but settled for a 39-second run
with one cone for my second.  Killer is a joy to drive.  The host club
did an excellent job of putting an autocross in a tiny parking lot with
some obstructions.  Everyone enjoyed it!

FOT members (who shall remain nameless, at least until such time as the
pictures are developed) who went grocery shopping for liquid
refreshments on a rainy afternoon showed their talent and skill at
weaseling out of walking back to the resort in the rain, and found out
the resort shuttle bus would answer their desperate plea from the liquor
section of the grocery.  So a dry ride back with the wet goods was
happily shared by all.

Saturday had several members traveling to the race track to watch Kramer
& company run, and hopefully a report will be forthcoming from one of
the attendees.  The concours was excellent, with a beautiful sunny
morning, and the rain held off until after the judging was completed.
I'm still waiting to hear how Joe (c)'s Spit, John's TR4, and Duncan's
Gloria did!  (We had to leave early to haul our Amphi home at a
reasonable rate.)

Breckenridge was beautiful and it was wonderful to get to spend time
with so many of you.  I hope all of you who attended arrive(d) home
safely, and those who weren't able to attend really missed a good time.

Keep Triumphing,
Susan   :)

PS -- Go go, SuperJoe!!!   :)