fot

Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com, kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:21:52 EST
In a message dated 12/2/01 2:39:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
GuyotLeonF@aol.com writes:

<< The length is also effected by the base circle diameter of the camshaft.
 If you have a re-ground cam the rod will come out shorter due to the
reduction
 of the base circle of the cam. Cams, even stock, can have a very different
 base circle diameter so a known length dosen't mean it will be what you
  want. >>

The largest base circle that I ever found was when I bought one of Kas's
original G-3 cams at the track (TR3/4engines).  I had to take off the
competition valve springs that I was using and go back to the Chevy small
block valve springs to get enough distance between the spring coils.  I
believe that this would mean that the lift was a little more than the various
duplicated regrinds.  This seemed to be the best cam in my past history.
Unfortunately, it ended up in about four pieces.  Occasionally, I have sent a
lobe to a machinist as an example for a regrind.