fot

Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com, kaskas@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:54:42 EST
In a message dated 12/2/01 4:26:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
GuyotLeonF@aol.com writes:

<< The tubeular pushrods are produced with an insert ball and cup that has a
 > portion that goes up into the tube.  This is NOT welded in place but simply
 > pressed in.  SO.......you can pull out the insert and shorten the pushrod
 > as you need then just press the insert back into place. I generally did
 > this in a lathe using a parting tool and therefore did not have to remove
 > the insert I just tooled off a bit of materiel right up next to the insert
 > joint, tested it for length and then went on as needed, recording as you go
 > and then make all the rest the same length.  It's just not a big deal. >>

I went through this process as a government job at the old Shippingport
Experimental Nuclear Plant in 1966.  I just used the first step explained in
Kas's little black book.  The machinist used a parting tool, and tapped the
rod cap down into the tube.  No, I never checked to see if the rods ended up
being radioactive.

If I remember correctly, Ken G's BFE company use to furnish these push rods
in different lengths.  He must have been in business for a long time.
Yesterday, I found an ancient pack of steel shim head gaskets in my garage
with his California address.  Many years ago, I tried to order some more
gaskets from this address, and was notified that he wasn't there anymore.

>From Kas-Thanks: <<So this amounts to: subtract the diameter difference from
the
amount milled from the head and that is how much to shorten. If you have not
milled much off the head you probably will not need to do anything.>>

Regardless of the cam, amount milled off of the head, and push rod length, I
still normally end up adding some shims under the rocker pedestals.