fot

Re: Ohio picture needed

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ohio picture needed
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:55:09 EDT
In a message dated 06/25/2002 12:42:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
Gt6steve@aol.com writes:

> Since the Mid-Ohio Gestapo has come to be mentioned...
> Was anybody but myself offended to see a public employee on full duty on
> private property and did anybody else think the Security at Mid-Ohio was
> somewhat heavy-handed?  I respect that they are trained to deal with full
> scale professional events with thousands of spectators but they struck me
> as
> way beyond appropriate for a club event.  Just my opinion...

Steve:

This was not a 'Club Event'.  This event is either the second or third
largest Public Event MID-OHIO runs after their CART event.  And my guess is
they make one hell of a lot more money on this event than they do on the CART
event.  CART may be imploding, but they don't come cheap.  MID-OHIO pays SVRA
to run this event for them.  My guess is that it is critically important to
SVRA, as well.  As to having public servants present, it is not uncommon for
the Tracks to seek local help if they perceive a problem they don't think
they can handle.  I was at BLACKHAWK one time (at a club event) when some of
the crew of one of the entrants became belligerent and would not follow
orders.  The track called the local Sheriff, and within minutes the whole
crew was packing up, and kicked out.  The entrant had been out on the track
in a practice session.  He was black flagged and given fifteen minutes to
pack up and get off the premises.

It is my understanding that down through the years certain tracks have had
'bad experiences' so they do not screw around.  They take quick action, and
use the local authorities where necessary.

Bill Dentinger