fot

Re: Differential Covers

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Differential Covers
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:49:25 EDT
Hey Joe,
I've been stewing on that point for a long time and I think there is an
inherent pumping action.  There is a passage cast into the case that I think
catches the high velocity oil slung from the ring gear.  I haven't looked at
it in a long time but always kept it in the back of my mind as a potential
spot to tap off a small U tube cooler.

<<
 Kas Kastner wrote:

 > I think for short races probably the finned cover and an increase in
 > capacity would be the ticket.  If for anything more than 30 minutes I'd fit
 > a little cooler. Doesn't have to be huge or anything but a cooler would
 > give the extra capacity and cool also.  When testing the endurance cars in
 > 1966 all fitted with disc type LSD (first time we'd tried them) two out of
 > four burned up the pinion seal in less and twenty minutes and the other two
 > were VERY toasty smelling.  The laps were five miles long so that is
 > significant but still twenty minutes is pretty short.  We never had any
 > trouble at all with the locker. Put on a bigger cover with an increase in
 > capacity and still lost one during the event. Back at the shop took those
 > devils out never to return.

 I am curious how one would connect a cooler to a diff (particularly one on a
Spitfire).  What troubles me is the fact that there is no inherent
 pumping action that would force the oil through a cooler and back into the
diff.  How is this done?

 Joe (C)