fot

Re: Information sought on Shell TR-4

To: "Russ Moore" <rem9@sunlink.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Information sought on Shell TR-4
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:27:11 -0500
The  1964 Shell 4000 TR4 from NY was sent to Germany and restored.

There was a big story a year or so ago about how authentic this car really
is with Graham Robson (in Triumph World) trying to be the referee.   Neil
Revington ( who restored two Shell 4000 TR4s - one for Ian Cornish and one
for himself) claims that about 15% of the car is made from the Shell TR4
from NY.

Do you know who prepared these cars?  They sported Oregon plates while in
the North America while in England they had British plates VC3, VC4, VC5 and
VC6.  There were 4 cars in the Team, but three ran in the Shell 4000.

Did you know that in a museum in England, there is an original axe that is
reputed to have belonged to a king about 1000 years ago.  Amazing when you
learn afterwards that this original axe has had the handle replaced 5 times.
And the head was replaced 4 times - or something like that.  Is it still
original ?

BTW, I did the 1964 Shell Rally in a Reneault (and finished) and got to see
those TR4s.  This was the first time that anyone used alloy wheels (I guess
thay may have been Mini-lites) and everyone said they were too fragile and
they'd all break before the end of the first night out of Vancouver on the
way to Montreal.  It was revolutionary at the time.  In fact one had a flat
in a special stage in Saskatchewan (I believe) and ran the rest of the stage
on the alloy rim.  Later they put a new tyre in that same rim and it was
still round, held air, etc.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal