fot

Re: Information sought on Shell TR-4

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Information sought on Shell TR-4
From: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:39:51 -0500
When I was in high school my father was a Triumph dealer.  Since we were so
close to Detroit (in NW Ohio) we had to drive to Detroit to Standard Triumph
(the importer) and drive the cars back to Ohio.  The building where Standard
Triumph was located was several stories high and an elevator was used to move
new cars from the upper floors to the street floor where we took delivery
after all the paperwork was completed.  This whole process usually took about
an hour to complete before we headed back home with the new car(s).
Once, while I was wandering about the building on the fourth (as I remember)
floor, I came across all three of the Shell 4000 rally cars backed against the
wall in the rear of the building.  They looked, quite honestly, like hell.
One had been damaged quite a bit in the front.  One of the Triumph employees
there told me that the car had come to a bridge at a very high rate of speed
and the driver realized too late that the level of the bridge was quite a bit
higher than the level of the road and the TR hit, causing a lot of damage to
the front of the car.  The driver and navigator, apparently with help from
others, repaired the car enough to continue and finish the rally!
I will never forget those three cars sitting back there in the almost dark
building and I will always wish that I had had a camera with me.  I did take a
camera back the next time I went there, but the cars were gone.

Mike Rose