fot

RE: Public Access To FOT Dialog

To: "Fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Public Access To FOT Dialog
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:40:44 -0800
>        When doing a Google search today, I was surprised to find
> references
> to specific dialogs taking place within team.net archives. I am
> wondering how
> much of the FOT dialog is publicly available in the archives?

MJB may have a better idea, but I believe the answer is "most of it".  A
quick Google on 'cary perket fot' turned up 6 matches from the FOT archives

>        Secondly, in consideration of this public access, how
> careful do we
> need to be about providing candid and frank criticisms of specific
> products/companies ?

IMHO, you should avoid 'ad hominem' attacks and limit your remarks to the
facts.  "John Doe sold me a camshaft that didn't last one race" is OK, but
"That #$@ John Doe is a @#$ %$&" is not.

> Do we avoid our comments being recorded if we respond
> directly to the FOT person rather than cc: the whole FOT group ?

It of course means they will not be recorded in the FOT archives.  However,
no email is truly private; at the very least it is recorded on your ISP's
mail server, and on the mail server of the person you send it to, where it
may be viewed by anyone with supervisor access to those servers.  As a rule
that doesn't happen, most admins have better things to do, but exceptions do
happen.  And so far, the courts have ruled that email does not enjoy the
same legal protections as phone calls do, so what you write may definitely
be held against you.  Steamy letters to your mistress are probably better
left to snail mail <g>

Randall - ex sysadmin