fot

Re: Public Access To FOT Dialog

To: <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Public Access To FOT Dialog
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:05:24 -0500
----- Original Message -----
<EISANDIEGO@aol.com> wrote:

> FOTers
>        When doing a Google search today, I was surprised to find
references
> to specific dialogs taking place within team.net archives. I am wondering
how
> much of the FOT dialog is publicly available in the archives?

The question is best answered by Mark Bradakis (away for a few
days I think from reading a post to that effect the other day).

>        Secondly, in consideration of this public access, how careful do we
> need to be about providing candid and frank criticisms of specific
> products/companies?

The safest thing is to give your OPINION only unless you can
clearly state something is absolute fact.

Opinion Example: I personally don't get good auto-x times with Brand X
tires.  In contrast, my best times are with Brand Y.

Fact Example: I ordered a widget part #12345 from vendor X and the
part came with a crack in it (or some other clearly identifieable
feature/flaw).

>Do we avoid our comments being recorded if we respond
> directly to the FOT person rather than cc: the whole FOT group ?

At the minimum, if you send someone a direct reply, the
ethical thing for the recipient to do is NOT to post or share
the reply with anyone UNLESS permission to do so (from you)
has been given (it can be requested after the fact).

Bottom line, as someone else has noted...anyone can sue anyone
else for damn near anything.  Given the existence of web sites
secifically that specifically are opposed to certain companies, products,
etc. the resorting to slander/liabel (slander = spoken, liabel = printed)
suits for internet published opinions/statements is fairly slim.
The other thing is the general 1st amendment right to offer
your opinion (pro/con) about just about anything you want without
fear of reprisal.  Most companies don't want the bad press
that usually acompanies lawsuits against individuals for their
opinions.

Does such lawsuits happen...yes, but they seem to be pretty
rare and are more likly targeted against deep pocket folks
such as when the Texas cattle raising organization tried to sue
Oprah Winfrey for her negative comments about eating beef.

Not legal opinion, just personal reflections on almost 20
yeras of internet usage.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.