fot

Anti-Roll Bar Materials Question

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Anti-Roll Bar Materials Question
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:45:12 -0600
After looking at the bars made by Saner, I decided to make an adjustable
anti-roll bar for my TR3A.  The Fred Puhn book says to use 4130 steel
for bars up to 1 inch and 4340 for larger bars.  I used 4140 steel for
mine.  Fred Puhn also says to have the bar heat treated to 160-180,000
psi.  I've been running mine without the heat treat.  I assume the heat
treating will increase the stiffness of the bar. Can someone tell me how
much it will change the stiffness of the bar?

In the archives, I've seen past discussions about the effect of
anti-roll bars on understeer of solid axle TRs.  On the top of p. 149,
Fred Puhn describes how a stiffer anti-roll bar can reduce understeer.
Larry Young