fot

Re: Anti-Roll Bar Materials Question

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anti-Roll Bar Materials Question
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:48:23 -0500
Larry - I would suggest you check the tensile strength of ordinary mild
steel as well as what the book says for 4140.  When you weld the 4140 (or
most other high tensile steels) the heat from the welding will anneal the
4140 so the roll bar (around the welds) is only the strength (or close to)
the strength value for ordinary Mild Steel (1010).

Heat treating the roll bar will put the strength you quoted back in - and it
will be that strength all over.  A stronger roll bar will not only add
rigidity to the frame of your TR3A, but it will stay where you want it to
stay, if the day ever comes where you ..........  heaven forbid.

Talk it over with a friendly heat treat shop. They will be able to explain
it.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada