fot

Re: Anti-Roll Bar Materials Question

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anti-Roll Bar Materials Question
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:42:04 -0600
Here is the passage I referred to in the Puhn book.  He seems to be describing
the situation with our solid axle TRs, not purpose built racecars.

"The steer characteristics resulting from a stiffer front anti-roll bar are
unpredictable. On cars with similar front and rear suspension designs the
tendency is for a stiffer front anti-roll bar to cause more understeer, due to
increased weight transfer in the front. On cars with independent front
suspension and solid rear axle, the tendency is often toward less understeer,
particularly if the car was designed to roll a great deal in the corners. The
reason is, the stiffer anti-roll bar prevents excessive positive camber from
occurring on the front tires in a turn. This effect is sometimes stronger than
the extra weight transfer and the result is less understeer. Usually this
result is strongest on cars, which inherently understeer a great deal, so a
larger front anti-roll bar is almost always a help to the handling with no
other changes."