fot

Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts

To: "kas kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:45:04 -0400
Now I am wondering if the car will be OK riding in the trailer on those
tires!  ;-)

Wondering even harder how our fearful leader Joe survives running his....
ahem, tire program!    <bigger grin>

The quantity and quality of the replies I have received has been
outstanding. I appreciate everyone's responses. The consensus of everyone's
opinion is I have been running overinflated and with too much camber for my
setup. Here's what I run.

The front end is lowered with a pair of those great Triumph Competition
Dept. springs. You can tell them from stock because the coils run
counterclockwise going down, opposite the stock springs. Massive sway bar,
perhaps too big. Negative camber is achieved by using shortened upper
A-arms, supplied by uncle jack's racing service. With my car sitting in a
line of TR4's at races, comparing the front camber to other TR4's, mine
looks to have less camber than others. Michael Porter I think may have put
his finger on the crux of the issue, my big front sway bar is keeping the
car from rolling in corners, so I don't need as much negative camber dialed
in. I wish this was an easy adjustment on a TR4. Would make life so much
easier...

I have been running cold tire pressures at 24 front and 23 rear. I have
experimented with lower, and didn't think it felt right. Looks like I will
be doing more experimenting this week. The Frye Racing Program has not
started the tire temp thing, so I have no idea what the tire temps are.
Looks like another gadget for the trailer is needed.

I have the tow set to about 1/8th in. My plan is to buy another set of
tires and set the toe to Zero before they see the track.

Thanks again, one and all.