fot

Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts

To: marshall@nefcom.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:37:40 EDT
In a message dated 04/13/2004 11:18:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
marshall@nefcom.net writes:

> Subj:RE: Calling you tire/suspension experts
> Date:04/13/2004 11:18:44 AM Central Daylight Time
> From:marshall@nefcom.net
> To:fot@autox.team.net
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Mine also wear that way.  Someone suggested to me that once the wear on
> the inside got noticeable having them demounted and reversed on the
> wheel to put the less worn section to the inside.  Other than the
> possibility of the tire changer cutting the bead, is there any reason
> not to do this?

Amici:

Bob Wismer and I have been running DUNLOPS the last few years.  We ran BFG
Team TA R1s before that.  The HOOSIERS are too wide for my TR3 and the Thunder
Bolt, although they'd fit on Bob's TR4.  Don Brick currently runs the HOOSIERS.
 Charlie Gibson, God Rest His Soul, told us that there is an inside and an
outside to DUNLOP racing tires for particular corners of the car.  DUNLOP (and
GOODYEAR for that matter) stencils a number, the compound, and construction
into one side of each tire.  For rear wheel drive cars this stenciled side is
mounted to the inside for the left front and right rear corners of the car, and
to the outside for the right front and left rear.  When SASCO mounts them they
mark each wheel for a particular corner of the car.  After they are 'broken
in' you may rotate them in any fashion.  I have to assume there is no
consequence when one remounts seasoned tires, but I don't know for sure.

Bill Dentinger

Bill Dentinger