fot

RE: Airstream

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Airstream
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:09:10 -0500
Bill and Jim,  attached (fot won't get them of course) are two photos of
a trailer someone sent me of a trailer they saw that was modified with
a flat door type rear end.  Personally I don't like the looks.  Seems to
ruin the sleek lines of an airstream trailer.  But that is one way of doing
it.

I managed to find a used "rib" from an airstream the same as ours.
The plan is to remove the back portion of the shell, add the new rib into
that section and create a water tight junction at that point while
pivoting the shell at the very top.  Have lots of thoughts on how to do
that as well.  All in all I really think the clam shell approach is actually
the easier of the two methods and less costly to boot. Fewer materials
involved and a lot less fabrication I would think.

I will likely use the mechanicals from a vehicle wheel chair lift (getting
one from a friend real cheap!) to raise and lower the hatch.  Although
the hatch doesn't weigh all that much (see picture of factory worker
lifting up the tail section) I like the potential added stability of using a
powered hydraulic unit.

Like I said we've been thinking about how to do this for well over a
year now and all the details are coming together nicely.  Should be
able to start the actual conversion a little later this summer (of course
at that time it will be a 100 degrees here in Arkansas and I'll be working
inside the aluminum shell....!)

The trailer is now gutted, we'll be using it as a moving trailer to move all
of our shop and then the conversion will commence.

All in all we're both looking forward to the project.

Brad