fot

RE: Spitfire transmissions

To: <spitfiresuz@141.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire transmissions
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:07:54 -0700
Susan,
Because the later GT6 box and the Later MkIV 3-rail boxes are basically
the same with the exception of the oversized input shaft and the obvious
gearing differences, you can transfer the gears to a MkIV box, but it
would require the same modifications as you would do to the complete GT6
box.

Therefore, you would need to do the following:

1. Cut down the input shaft to the same length as the equivalent
Spitfire length.

2. Find a clutch disk with a 1" 10 spline hub that will fit the GT6
shaft and be the right diameter surface to fit your flywheel.

3. You will have to pick and choose the right length throwout bearing
actuator to fit your application.  Spits came with different length
pieces through out the years.  I seem to recall using one from a Mk1 for
the conversion I did on Tiny Tim.

Hopefully, you won't have a problem with the shaft rubbing on the center
of the flywheel as I did.  I ended up chamfering the center hole in the
aluminum flywheel to solve that problem.  It sounded like the throwout
bearing was howling and it took a long time and a lot or removing and
replacing the gearbox to finally solve that problem.

Joe