fot

Re: Replacing the front brake rubbers

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing the front brake rubbers
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:12:36 -0500
I'm late on this thread, but I just spent an awful day and a half
rebuilding brake calipers.  I've done this on a regular basis since I
started racing, so I do have some experience.  I've always found a set
of picks to be useful for pulling the dust shield up around the piston.
This time it was not working, so I decided to try this great idea.  I
went to the parts store and bought a short piece of 2 1/8 inch ID
exhaust pipe.  Still no success.  After 4 hours and no dust shield
installed, I gave up.  Decided to install without dust shields.  I still
had trouble getting the pistons past the seals, even with brake fluid
lubrication.  Finally, everything done, but one caliper leaks.  To make
a long story longer, I'm convinced the rubber was either too small to
start with or it had shrunk.  You can't get the piston past the rubber
if it is not pressed against the sides.  The leak occured because the
edge of the seal was sheared off when I pressed the piston in. I can't
remember where or when I bought this caliper kit.  I think it may have
been from Victory British 2 or 3 years ago.  It's labeled Beck-Arnley
and also "Made in UK".  Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Larry Young