fot

RE: [FOT] Differential fluid

To: BillB@bnj.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [FOT] Differential fluid
From: joe dirt <oldskooling@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:29:52 -0700 (PDT)
Bill,

By the rules you can't modify the diff cover. They do have a finned covers..
but as far as modifications are concerned, that is all they can do. It's not so
much a problem with the LSD unit, it's the fact that the early 1.6L
differential's do not hold enough fluid. Also there is a problem with
stiffening the springs up. Since Spec Miata is sooo close as far as racing is
concerned, and since every little bit helps (ie: $1200 Titanium clutches, due
to a loop hole in the rules); racers were finding that stiff differentials were
costing them hp and increasing scrub on the track. Now this isn't so much a
problem with the TR's, but say you're at Daytona.. 1mph faster coming out of
the bus stop on the backstraight equals 1 second by the time you reach Turn 1.
That is HUGE time lost in this type of racing. With these cars being so low hp,
they're making up all their time in the corners. They can't afford to scrub any
speed off. Paying attention to detail such as this as really
 enabled these cars to become quite fast.. for Road Atlanta the track record in
Spec Miata is 1:44.662. That is FASTER than every car at the MG/Triumph
challenge at the Mitty a year a go...  not bad for a showroom based, 120hp, DOT
tired car.

-Bob Adams

Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com> wrote: Well that's way too hot. Can you put on a
bigger cover or modify the diff?
If you set the diff up to hardly slip at all, in other words make the
springs very stiff, then it won't overheat and it will work reasonably
smoothly. You'll have to deal with a bit of understeer, but it may be
throttle responsive--that is, it might understeer less under throttle.