fot

Re: [FOT] Differential fluid

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Differential fluid
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:11:52 -0500
Bob - I was just at an SCCA event at our local track.  You couldn't swing a
dead cat without hitting a Spec Miata.  I was talking to a guy about them.
He's running a 1600, so has the earlier and weaker diff.  He says it has to
be disassembled and checked over after two events, everything gets "lock
tight" on reassembly, but some bolts inside just back themselves out no
matter what you do.  More interesting, I heard a rather guarded conversation
between two of the Spec Miata guys regarding a "catch can" that was supposed
to be being used to collect diff lube escaping under heat, but was actually
rigged to hold another quart and a half of lube.  If you haven't heard about
this before, I'd suggest you take a close look at some competitors cars (if
they will allow) and see if you can spot such a device for this umm...
"trick".

Please note I am not accusing anyone of cheating.  And I didn't even name
the guys that are... ;-)
Is it cheating if you don't get caught?

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE 68025