fot

RE: [FOT] OD Switch on shift lever?

To: triosan@gmail.com, fot@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: [FOT] OD Switch on shift lever?
From: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:07:29 +0000
Reminds me of a funny story. I had the same idea on my TR6 but I wanted to
mold the gearshift handle to fit my hand as well as hold the switch. I took
a push-to -engage, push -to-disengage switch, a threaded metal bushing, and
a wad of fiberglass reinforced bondo and put the peices together while
holding it in my shifting hand in a latex glove. One small problem....bondo
is exothermic as it sets up, meaning it gives off heat, a lot of heat. It
got hotter and hotter in my hand until I began to question my dedication to
this particular concept. It hardened just enough that I could let go just
about the time my rational mind overpowered my dedication and forced me to
open my hand. It was kind of like that old Kung Fu show where the rite of
passage was to carry the pot of burning coals with bare hands. Maybe this
can be incorporated when someone is nominated to the FOT.

Anyway, it was funny looking but it worked. Switch protrudes where my thumb
rests when I shift, but it can't be dismantled for repair. Wheel mounted
paddles seem like a better plan.

Mark Weathers