fot

Re: [FOT] Story on FOT in Classic Motorsports

To: triosan@gmail.com, cartravel@pobox.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] Story on FOT in Classic Motorsports
From: <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:28:49 +0000
>Greg:
>Could you please repost the explanation of the logo?
>Thansk,
>Chuck

Dang!

Jim Hill kept that old post!

>>  I was approached by Joe Alexander and Jack Drews to design a logo for
>>the
FOT many moons ago. Their description of the group went something like,
"We're a organization with no organization... There's no meetings, no
officers, no dues and no pretentions." In essence a group of Grouchos who
wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would have them as a
member.

   My design flies in the face of this "lack of pretention" by being
pretentious. It's a "proper" heraldic display, (if you want specifics I
could tell what "proper" means), kind of like a country club... I was in to
heraldry in a former life and thought a series of jokes for the FOT logo
would fill the bill perfectly.

   I started with the old Triumph "Open Book" logo which looked a bit like
an old "heater" shield.

   The logo was "quartered". The upper left (first quarter) is a leaky oil
can with drops of oil. The lower right (fourth quarter) depicts the
gauntleted fist of the Prince of Darkness clutching a lightning bolt, broken
(it speaks for itself). The upper right (second quarter) and lower left
(third quarter) allow the original TR logo to show through. The flags
(supporters) originally were to be the "faster car behind you" which
survives and the "debris on track" flag which was replaced by the "checkers"
(hey, we have been known to win occasionally) "Amici Triumphi" is proper
latin (provided by a latin scholar) The helmet is a modern racing helmet as
opposed to the knights helmet on a more medieval display. The circlet of
laurels is an homage to the later Triumph logo.

   That's about it,<<

Well I can't improve too much on what was written a few years back... I can
say it was a joint opinion by Jack and Joe to change the "debris flag" for
the "checkers." Our favorite crumugeon (Bill Dentinger) lead the counter
non-revolution to bring back the "debris flag".

In this age of corporate image where having the officail approved anything
is paramount (or perhaps MGM)... the really-o, truly-o, gosh-a-rooney,
spot-on OFFISHUL logo is... (wait for it...)

Both

There I said it.;OP

Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois