fot

RE: [FOT] blow-ups

To: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>, <WEmery7451@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] blow-ups
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 07:28:37 -0800
> What system does Ford or other manufacturers use that allows them to fit
> non-bypassing oil filters to their engines.

While I've never wrenched on a Ford, I believe they have to run a bypass
somewhere.  It might be in the engine (as with our TRactor motors) or it might
be in the filter cartridge, but it's somewhere.

What I'm wondering is what function an oil filter really serves on a race-only
engine.  Seems to me that you wouldn't run a charge of oil long enough to pick
up any significant dirt; and the primary source of wear is not going to be dirt
in the oil anyway.  Is the filter just to reduce the spread of swarf after a
failure ?

Randall