fot

[Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts

To: chris@tr4-racing.de, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:06:21 -0500
Christian Marx wrote:
>I found in a book:
>Engine DB 601 V 12
>44,5 L
>3500 HP
>3100 rpm
>Compressor charged  with 30 PSI

That really surprises me.  I thought the R-3350 was the most
powerful piston-engine for aircraft ever built.  In turbo-super
guise and 55 liters, it produced around 2,800 hp.

Gotta hand it to the Germans.  I gotta turn my TR6 motor
upside down and turbo-supercharge.  Dry sump kit on the way!

As an aside, compare this with 10 liter fuelies and their 7,000 hp
turning 8,000 rpm.  Difference being that one motor lasts several
hundred between rebuilds, and that other lasts 10 seconds.

Shane Ingate, needing stronger headbolts than ARP, in Maryland