fot

Re: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts

To: jrherrera90@hotmail.com, chris@tr4-racing.de, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:58:46 -0500
>If we're including experimental engines here, how about the Lycoming
>sitting
>down at Paul Garber (unless they moved it to Udvar-Hazy); four rows of nine
>cylinders, liquid cooled. I disremenber the displacement, but I think it
>was
>about 7000 cubic inches and 5000 HP.

Update: It's the Lycoming XR-7755-3 from 1945 and it is on display at NASM's
Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport. 7755 cubic inches.

I also like the Napier Nomad II Model E. 145 on display there. Flat 12
diesel, injected, supercharged, turbo-compound (the exhaust gasses spin a
turbine that turns the crankshaft through a fluid coupling); quite possibly
the most complex recip aero engine ever made.

John