fot

Re: [Fot] titanium rods

To: Terry Stetler <tlizzard@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] titanium rods
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 00:35:34 -0700
My MV Agusta Senna has titanium rods, piston pins and crank pin.
Beautiful parts. The motor revs to 13,500 RPM and makes 142 HP from
750 cc. I wouldn't mind that kind of performance in my TR3, Peyote
would be darned sprightly with 400+ horsepower, though I suspect the
four radially displaced titanium valves and the fuel injection
contribute more to the performance than the rods. What a motor
though. I can pick it up by myself. The whole bike weighs 413 pounds--
about the same as a TR3 motor. The valve springs and retainers are
absolutely gorgeous. Most of the bits inside look like jewelry.

An interesting side note, an engineer told me that the titanium
alloys used in motorsports don't lend themselves to crack checking
because most cracks propagate beneath the surface and don't propagate
slowly like steel can. It's either good, or it's gone.

Bill Babcock
billb@bnj.com
bnj  Website for Babcock & Jenkins, a direct and interactive agency

You can subscribe to my Blogs
Via email:
All Aluminum Tour: Touring and racing classic North American tracks.
http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=168395
Ponohouse : Living and playing in Maui. http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?
Sub=168304

or Via RSS