fot

[Fot] Shipping cars

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Shipping cars
From: "Shane Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:01:53 -0400
Amici,

For those of us that have to transport cars long-distances, I thought I
would relate my experiences in shipping Rags from Maryland to New Mexico.

I do not have a trailer or a tow rig, so had to use a company to ship cars.
I insisted on a enclosed trailer (having been burnt previously when I
shipped my Pantera on an open transport across the Rockies in Winter and a
snow storm, and the transporter left the drivers window down).  I requested
several quotes and decided to go with Fedex Custom Critical (yeah, Fedex
ships cars!).  There were penalties for having a non-running car, so the
cost came to about $2K.

But this was not door-to-door.  The rig is 85' long and could not negotiate
the narrow streets near the DC-MD border where I lived, so I had to flatbed
the car to meet the truck.  At the other end, the rig would get stuck in the
canyon I am in, so I am renting a storage unit and Rags is living there for
the time being.

As stated, the rig was huge.  Dennis, the driver, was a petrol-head and
loves cars.  The trailer with all its hydraulics and bluetooth enabled
ramps/jacks etc alone cost $160K.  Very impressive.  Got the car loaded.  6
days later, it arrives absolutely unmarked and spotless.  Even though I
drained the fluids from Rags, it of course had to leave its mark in the rig,
but all the car spaces in the rig had oil collection places so no harm done.

All in all, a great experience.  I would highly recommend Fedex Custom
Critical should you ever need to ship your pride and joy.

Shane Ingate in New Mexico