fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph World

To: JOSEPH HUGHES <tr5racer@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph World
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:42:41 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, JOSEPH HUGHES wrote:

> I am afraid that I do not share your enthusiasm for the new revised
> Triumph World, Bill. I am not sure whether you have received any of the
> new magazine or whether the ones you have read are from the old
> editorial team.

I'm on the fence. On the other hand, I let my subscription lapse because I
pretty much stopped reading the mag a while back and I find the new layout
"hard to read"... too much like hanging around with ADD people.

>  Basically it was a good magazine until quite recently when they got rid
> of Tony Beadle ( the editor for the past 5 years) and several of the
> regular contributors. I much preferred the old magazine which had a good
> mix of articles, history, competition and a few adverts. The new
> magazine has the emphasis very much on advertising and would appear to
> be out to try and attract a younger readership.

I can't reply to the why, but I wanted to mention that I believe TOny
Beadle was the original editor and if not, he's been in the editor chair
since about '97 or '98. But I could be worng on that.

One way or the other, I have to admit that I likes his style a bit more
then "the new guy". Interestingly, I liked the new guy's column in the
past, but I find his copy (the editor of that mag writes a lot of the
copy, BTW) to be tiring. I can't put my finger on it.

>  I believe its days are numbered and will be surprised if the numbers
> sold each edition don.t dwindle rapidly!

Time will tell.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's a few hundred Triumphs world-wide that
haven't been covered yet. :-) I know MINE have never been featured.

>  Mike Hughes

regards,
rml
p.s. I found it very amusing that as soon as my subscription lapsed, tehy
did an article about one of our club's long-standing events - Day of
Triumph. Go figure.