fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph World

To: tr5racer@btinternet.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph World
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:40:44 EST
In a message dated 11/20/2007 2:59:39 PM Central Standard Time,
tr5racer@btinternet.com writes:

> I am afraid that I do not share your enthusiasm for the new revised Triumph
> World, Bill. I am not sure whether you have received any of the new magazine
> or whether the ones you have read are from the old editorial team.
>
>   Basically it was a good magazine until quite recently when they got rid of
> Tony Beadle ( the editor for the past 5 years) and several of the regular
> contributors. I much preferred the old magazine which had a good mix of
> articles, history, competition and a few adverts. The new magazine has the
>emphasis
> very much on advertising and would appear to be out to try and attract a
> younger readership.
>
>   I believe its days are numbered and will be surprised if the numbers sold
> each edition don.t dwindle rapidly!

Mike, you have me at a disadvantage, as I've only seen two issues I have to
assume they are by the 'the new team' you describe, as they are the most recent
issues.  Therefore, I have no basis for comparison with past issues, but the
two I saw sure impressed me.

The November issue has a ton of regular articles, as well as some great
feature articles, including the restoration and upgrades of a Herald, a GT6,
and a
Toledo (what ever that is).  There is a fine article on a Stag factory
fastback, and a technical article on the Stage engine.  There is a historical
article
highlighting Design Engineer Lewis Dawtrey.  I particularly enjoy the
pictures and articles about the models we don't often see over here.

I find it interesting that you describe previous issues as 'better,' because
those two I saw were very good.  I was in business for nearly forty-five
years, and I know what makes the world goes around.  I never had anything to do
with the publishing business, but I am not put off by their need to feature
advertisers.  It is common knowledge advertising income is critical to
magazines.

So too attracting younger readers.  Does not surprise me.  It's a good idea.
Older TRIUMPH aficionados like me are dying off like flies.

Mike...different strokes for different folks.  Participation optional.  To
each his own, but I stand by my take.

Bill