fot

Re: [Fot] steroid use

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] steroid use
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:09:23 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

> Or  is this discussion of lifter substitution (GT40 no less) and  computerized
> boring programs pertinent only to members' street  cars?

Hi -

At the risk of offending and so forth, not everyone on FOT is a
died-in-the-wool vintage racer. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact.

In fact, some of us are current racers with SCCA and other groups.

But a general point in that regard is that in order to keep the cars
running some ingenuity is needed. Solving problems like worn out cams is
one such instance.

> Steve P.
>

> My opinion on this is that it is way beyond the scope of enforcement in the
> Vintage Community.
>
> It is also way beyond what I would call "in the Spirit of Vintage  Racing".

I agree 100% with this statement. Which is one reason why I don't run
vintage right now. My car isn't a real race car from back in the day, and
owning a "real race car" is pretty much not in my future because of a lot
of factors.

Interestingly, I run in current SCCA (solo) in a car that (except for the
current flared fenders and the roll cage) is pretty much a 1972 GCR legal
car. Yes, I'm not competitive at the national level, but I have a car that
is way kool and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, if someone gave me
a GT1 car, I might let go - but there would be some wimpering...

But the point of my message is that FOT is actually a pretty diverse group
with a common interest - TRIUMPHS. How we use our Triumphs is actually one
aspect of the group where divergence occurs.

As a point of information, had I fully understood the cam follower thing
when I had my last cam done, I might have done things a bit differently so
that my $600+ cam job would last more than a couple of seasons. C'est la
vie!

> Jack Woehrle
> SVRA Technical Director

regards,