fot

Re: [Fot] EGT readings

To: <rdavis4@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] EGT readings
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:17:32 -0500
Thanks, Bob.

The probes in the header I was using at the last race weekend ARE too
close to the head - about 3 inches from the port.  So I didn't believe
the 1400 degree reading on the EGT, as you suggest.  We just installed
the skinniest needles I own (BGs) and screwed the jets down until they
were ready to fall out.  With those changes, it was still running at
1400 degrees on the rear EGT at between 8,000 and 8,500 revs, with lower
temps on the #1 probe.  All four plugs had an even tan color to them, no
white ones, no dark ones.

Then the exhaust valve on #4, the cylinder with the higher readings,
went away (stuck open, broke off?) and did some impressive damage to the
piston and combustion chamber.

Could be just coincidence that the highest EGT readings were from the
cylinder where we had the problem with the exhaust valve, but I'm not
inclined to bet another engine on it :-)

This weekend we plugged in a spare motor and swapped to another header
with the probe holes in the correct location, according to the
instructions, and found that I still had significantly higher exhaust
gas temperatures on #4 (1250 degrees at idle).  I'm presently looking
for an air leak to explain the significant difference between #1 and #4.
If I don't find an air leak, I'll start looking for other explanations.

But all of that raises the question - how hot is too hot?  Is 1400
degrees acceptable?  1450?  All day?

Scott