fot

Re: [Fot] TR250K short-shifting at the Glen?

To: Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>, WILLIAM TOBIN
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR250K short-shifting at the Glen?
From: Sam Halkias <atr6racer@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:16:04 -0400
   Thanks Bill and Kas. After 36 years I've figured out a thing or two on the
Six. Yes, it was my SCCA runoff car, and my other Two Catawba cars run nearly
identical engine and transmission packages. My main car #88 (normally #83) is
dry sumped and very tweeked out on the suspension, it's a hoot to drive! The
#33 car that Jim drove used to belong to Kelly McBride from WA and prior to
that Dave Pettigrew from NE. The #30 car is David Wingett's old car that I
just picked up this year, I used it to run NASA this year. I still  have two
more race TR6's at home, and all of them hit the track every year. I remember
starting out with Kas's competition manuals on my TR4 and TR6 back in ther
70's, so I guess I have Kas to blame for getting me hooked on Tr's. BTW, Kas,
you made my weekend by stopping by at the Glen! I was honored to share my work
with you.  Jim, Jack and I had a ball at the Glen. Most fun we've had in
years! Jack has Kas's original TR6 at home, and I'm puting it back to the Jim
Ray/Dennis Wilson bodywork for next year. I'll also have a repro vintage car
for Jim and I to play with. We plan on going to the Mitty next year and Mid
Ohio Vintage weekend. We'll leave the SCCA cars home unless the Brits come
across the pond again!
   I'll be happy to help anyone with anything I can. I do some engine work
when I can for others as David Wingett will confess, and Mike Munson is trying
to be "Little Sam". Be patient with me. I spend alot of time in the shop with
6 TR6's! Got to keep them "Ready to Race"! Right Kas?

Sam
  > From: kaskas@cox.net> To: william.tobin3@verizon.net;
RKramer@rdoequipment.com; fot@autox.team.net> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:29:08
-0700> Subject: Re: [Fot] TR250K short-shifting at the Glen?> > It is fair to
say that I went by Sam's pit to see his car and talk with him. > I expected
him to be standoffish and not very friendly. Just the opposite. > Just a great
guy that even pulled the fender off his great racer to show me > what he done.
Just a nifty,fast guy.> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "WILLIAM TOBIN"
<william.tobin3@verizon.net>> To: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>;
<fot@autox.team.net>> Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:57 PM> Subject: Re:
[Fot] TR250K short-shifting at the Glen?> > > > Hi, in answer to the first
question; no and yes. Sam's been at the game> > for 30 or so years and knows
what he's doing. He's currently running SCCA> > and is probably at the
Runoffs.> > It was funny when one of his crewman was being interviewed and was
asked> > if Sam was saving his car for the Feature race. The reply, "Sam never
> > saves> > the car!" Very competitive and a decent guy. And his car is
probably his> > SCCA car. Who cares? It was a great show.> > Bill-----
Original Message -----> > From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>> >
To: <fot@autox.team.net>> > Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:57 PM> >
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR250K short-shifting at the Glen?> >> >> > > Watching the
video brought up a couple of questions.> > >> > > Are the 3 Catabwa Island
TR6's all running the same equipment and is > > Sam> > that> > > good?> > >> >
> Did both the Group 44 TR6 and TR8 blow engines in the same weekend? I> >
think> > > that was the TR6 that went in smoking and left an oil slick on pit>
fot-bounces@autox.team.net [mailto:fot-bounces@autox.team.net] On> > Behalf> >
> Of N197TR4@cs.com> > > Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:54 AM> > > To:
hottr6@hotmail.com; fot@autox.team.net; andre@gt6.ca> > > Subject: Re: [Fot]
TR250K short-shifting at the Glen?> > >> > > I dont know, but I never heard a
sweeter sounding six cylinder engine.> > Should> > > be bottled and sold.> >
Glen:> > > >> > > >
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3801089803051563183&hl=en-CA> > > >> >
> > Watching the faster TR6s navigate corner 12, they all appear> > > > to
take it in third, shifting to fourth midway down the> > > > following
straight.> > > >> > > > Watching the movie at approximately 3:15 and 4:59 mark
we see> > > > Tony Garmey zipping along in the TR250K and changing up shortly>
> > > after hitting the apex.> > > >> > > > It appears to me that either Tony
was short-shifting by> > > > 500 rpm (???) or so, or he was running a very
different set of> > > > drivetrain ratios. Another Kas secret?> > > >> > > >
Andre, is there a way to obtain a copy of this video in the original> > > >
format, from an ftp site? I'd love a copy, and I swear I will not> > > > use
it for anything other than my own lustful desires. =8O> > > > I'll likely not
see these cars together again.> > > >> > > > Shane Ingate in NM> > > >> > > >>

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!
20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008