fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints

To: <dos_gusanos@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints
From: "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer" <Lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:30:51 -0700
Come on Henry, you DO wear a helmet to work - I've seen it!  OK, so
it was a "vintage" style aviator  with goggles and scarf but it was
still unmistakably you sticking up out oh that Healey - got a good
laugh that day!
Seriously though, I knew the writing was on the wall after last years
tragedies. I'm not a fan of mandates of any sort but look at it this
way - If they were to be mandated across all racing [which I think
will happen eventually] maybe the cost would come down to something a
bit more reasonable.
Regarding the fatal Surjit Hermon accident at Road America, perhaps
you shouldn't be so judgmental - I was in that session and don't
think the VSCDA folks need or deserve the burden of second guessing
their actions. The Mini was so far off the racing surface that a
driver would almost have to take aim to hit it and I think that is
pretty much what happened - Target Fixation! I'll never know if a
HANS would have saved him but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have hurt
him either.
For me, I don't have one yet but it is on the A list.
As for motorcycle helmets, anyone who doesn't wear one is just plain
stupid. The only problem with mandating them is that it allows stupid
people to live longer and takes "natural selection" out of the picture.

Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
TR4 #314
Albuquerque NM