fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:53:58 -1000
I thought Grattan was a great track. Technical, fiddly, and a good
test of suspension tuning. I don't care for high horsepower tracks in
general, probably because I don't have much. I really liked that off
camber turn. I wouldn't call it my favorite, but it's right up there.

Motorcycle racers ARE nuts, I know that personally. Every time you get
hurt (and you do get hurt a lot) the primary concern is "how long is
this going to take before I can get back to racing" which explains a
lot of things like pins, screws and plates where natural healing would
be better, and casts being cut off in the pits with diagonal cutters.
All these years later I'm paying a price, but it sure was fun while it
lasted. You think scrambling into a corner to pass for position, late
braking, with the rear end hopping and the front end sliding is fun in
a car, try it on a bike, where four riders might be occupying the same
space as one car. My heart is pounding just thinking of it. I still
have dreams of sliding my bike into the big sweepers on a mile dirt
track, drifting, drifting, with the rear end clawing for grip, the
front end cranked within a fraction of full lock, sliding my foot
until the rear end stated driving and then putting it back on the peg,
still sliding, but starting to drive for the straight. Jesus.

The one thing I NEVER skimped on was safety gear, as much because I
believed it would reduce the down time as for any life-saving aspect.
I truly believed I was immortal.

Anyone who wants to ride a bike on the street without a helmet should
be allowed to--as long as they are over 21 and have signed an organ
donor card. The outlaw bikers that all cruiser riders emulate used to
call themselves one-percenters, because the AMA (american motorcycle
association) said 99 percent of motorcyclists were law abiding
citizens. Those hairy guys with the do rags are 99 percent poseurs who
put 100 miles a year on their bike and work as accountants and real
estate agents. Nouveaux tough. Starbucks Angels. Why waste a perfectly
good helmet on them.

I feel uncomfortable riding a bike in my driveway without a top
quality, full coverage helmet on.

Incidentally, here's my latest bit of stupidity:
http://www.kenalu.com/2008/11/30/sup-motorcycle-trailer/