fot

Re: [Fot] explaination of fittings...

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] explaination of fittings...
From: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:17:32 -0800
Hi Bobby,  Steve Belfer here.

I was new to these fittings but have recently (within the past year)
had many custom AN lines made up to completely re-plumb the fuel
system and install an Accusump in the Trunk, and Oil cooler, as well
as a custom line for the oil press. gauge.  Sounds like what you're
doing is pretty easy, and easy to make a mistake too and spend extra
money. The main way to screw it up is to make the lines too short.
You can always shorten them but can not lengthen them. :)    1"ID is
-16AN hose.  These are big but the right size for the valve cover and
crankcase vent.  You need to have a -16AN Male "Bung" welded into the
valve cover and catch tank.  Then you need to have a hose made up that
connects the valve cover to the catch tank.  This hose will be
comprised of the hose and two hose end fittings.  Hose end fittings
come straight, or 45 degrees or 90 degrees.  They can also be
purchased in bends up to 180 degrees but you won't need that for this
application.

Find a local shop that can make up hoses for you.  I do not recommend
doing it yourself the first time.  The braided hose is cut with a
special chop-saw.  You can tape it and cut yourself with a hack-saw or
dremel but I've messed this up by cutting at an angle or by fraying
the braids.  Find a good chop that knows what they're doing and can
shorten the line and rebuild the hose if you need to make tweaks.

The hoses bend well but do not twist.  They take a set because of the
braiding so you have to know which angle the end fittings will point
when the hose is in attached.  Leave at least 1" of slack so the line
can vibrate as the engine moves a little.  You do not want the line
too tight.  Buy "Swivel" end fittings so you can adjust the angle of
the end fittings.

Do not overtighten AN fittings.  They need no sealant, no lubricant
and just give them a firm tightening but don't crank on it!

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to try and answer
them for you.

~Steve