fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 rear shock conversion

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <lawrie@britcars.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 rear shock conversion
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:29:32 -0700
> The lever shock can
> "foam" the fluid so the damping effect is lost since the shock fluid is
> now foam rather than pure fluid.

Seems to me that it would be pretty trivial to fix that, if it is really a
problem.  The solution is the same as implemented in (some) tube shocks; add
a divider between the fluid and the expansion (air) space, so there is no
way for the fluid to get mixed with air (aka foam).

For lever shocks, I'm thinking of an external canister with a bladder in it,
somewhat similar to an Accusump (but much smaller of course).  Tap the top
cover of the lever shock for a fitting, run a line to the canister mounted
on a frame rail.  Since relatively little pressure is involved (just
whatever is generated as the shock heats up and forces oil into the
canister), the plumbing should be easy.  Hardest part is probably filling
and bleeding the air out of the hydraulic side.

Even some tube shocks use this setup:
http://www.shockabsorbersworld.com/shocks-reservoirs.html

-- Randall
fot@autox.team.net