fot

Re: [Fot] Faulty Water Temp Gauge?

To: vintage.racer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Faulty Water Temp Gauge?
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:29:12 -0400
Gary
If you don't want to spend the $ on an infrared temp device, Lisle (and
many others) makes a drop in thermometer that goes in the radiator neck.
I have been using these for years without incident. At least you will be
able to measure the true coolant temp and see when the thermostat opens.
Of course start with a cold engine. You can't measure on the run but you
can't with the infrared either.The infrared will only provide surface temps.

If you have a fluke with or similar VOM with a receptacle for a
thermocouple, you can insert the thermocouple under the upper radiator
hose (or any other place you desire) into the coolant. Run the
thermocouple wire into the passenger compartment and you can monitor
your coolant temp at any speed or condition. We use to run hundred of
these during vehicle development tests.

I agree with the other posts that it's likely a voltage stabilizer or
bad sending unit, but you never know definitively until you test.
Good Luck
Glenn Franco