fot

Re: [Fot] Odd wear

To: Mark Eginton <markconsultation@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Odd wear
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 11:20:26 -0700
Might be a faulty bearing. Perhaps the bearing material flaked away? I'd look
at it carefully with strong magnification and see if it seems to be wear or
flaking. Could also be a rod and bearing cap elongation issue. I'd get them
honed round before I reused them.

Are you asking if you should use the lifter again or the cam. Certainly you
should replace any lifter that looks even the slightest bit funky. Lifters are
cheap. The cam might be junk (or a core) too even though it looks OK.

On Nov 6, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Mark Eginton wrote:

> I had a headbolt on a new motor that would not pull past 70 lbs but chose to
drive it for the summer. Turns out a repaired thread insert from PO of the
block cracked the block. So now its winter, I stripped the block today and
found some odd wear on the rod bearings I have never seen before. These parts
have about 300 easy country miles on them.

> 1st you will see the rod bearings which have a very small triangle of brass
showing through at the edges. The rods were purchased from a FOTr who rebuilt
and balanced them, ran one race <5500 RPM then upgraded. I've had bent rods
before, I don't think this is it...

> Next there is my first lifter that did not appear to be spinning in the
lifter block. It moved very freely up and down. The cam (new Isky 555 grind)
#1 lobe (shown in photo) looks fine... Would you run this one again in a new
block?