fot

Re: [Fot] Trailers

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Trailers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:41:32 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 Gt6steve@aol.com wrote:

> I'm very happy with my enclosed trailer for all of the reasons  mentioned.
>
> I recall one 300 mile trip home from Phoenix in a light drizzle all the
> way. When I got home the car was TOTALLY covered with a thick brown film from
> the wet desert roads!  I was still finding mud years later.
>
> The downside of the enclosed trailers is that you're anonymous.  No
> conversations with truckers on the CB and no kids with their noses pressed to
> the
> windows as they pass....

Agreed on this one. You just gotta "sticker up" the trailer. Then everyone
slows down to look at the driver of the rig when they're passing. :-)

Side bar, one of my favorite CB conversations ever was in 2001 driving to
the SCCA Solo Nationals in an RV with a TR4 on an open trailer.
Indianapolis, IN on I70 (I guess). We're just driving along and this woman
with a very clear and proper English accent says simply: I say, is that a
Triumph TR4?

We nearly drove off the road from the surprise. Turns out that she
relocated to the US and was a cross country driver for a major moving
company.

So, open trailers def. have certain up sides.

But in my book, the enclosed advantages all outweigh the open trailer
thing except for storing the trailer itself. Enclosed trailers are a pain
to store if oyu don't have a lot of space (or friends with lots of space).

To the topic: 20' Pace American Rally, 3000 pounds empty. I tow with a '99
Chevy Express 3500 with a 5.7 engine and no tow package. This rig tows
really nice indeed. Fuel economy is about 10 MPG with the car in the
trailer... I've gotten more than 11 MPG with that setup, but since the
switch to 10% ethanol, it's more like 9.5 - 10 mpg.

c ya,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive