fot

Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

To: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE
From: TR4 Tony <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:28:42 +0000
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Joe

It's worth taking a look at the sort of modifications that we do to the TR4
chassis for rallying.

Clearly the sump guards and belly plates etc which are there to protect vital
things from flying rocks and damage from heavy landings and two wheel
adventure are not required, however the reinforcement work is all done to
preserve the integrity of the frame and proven by my gentle driving.

In terms of the front suspension and towers; even the Works Rally TR4s which
were nowhere as tough as say my TR4 Beastie had a number of filleted plates
added on the joints and corners, all sides filled in on anything that looked
like a box, the main cross member plated up with another 3mm of steel and the
welded joints all reinforced using triangular fillets. You should all be doing
this as the majority of cracking and failures are due to fatigue, not from
impact loadings.

Bear in mind that with one exception you are adding very small segments of 2mm
thick steel, so weight gain is a few months of not eating at macDonalds.

If anyone wants I have a bare TR4 chassis on the ramp that is in be process of
being repaired and taken from 1960's Works spec to 2013 Tony spec right now,
so can give you chapter and verse with pictures.

Best regards and Happy New Year to you all.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone