fot

Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

To: sherry robyn <sherryjimmy6116@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:50:52 -0500 (EST)
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, sherry robyn wrote:

> Do TR6s (1974) have this weakness also?

Speaking from personal experience - YES!!!

I had a shock tower fail during practice for a national tour event. The
metal split near the top of the box that forms the mount for the
upper crossmember and the upper fulcrum pin mount peeled back a lot. I was
lucky that the result was nothing more than a camber gain of 10 or 15
degrees!!!

Also, watch where the square tube brace that angles down to the frame
butts. That was cracked on both sides, maybe because of the other failure,
but coincident to it. And I was doing frame checks fairly often. Now I do
them after every event.

I'm with Joe on this - RATCO is a good alternative!!!

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489