fot

Re: [Fot] Electric cars

To: Tim Murphy <timmurph@fastbytes.com>, "fot@autox.team.net Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Electric cars
From: Bill Babcock <ponobill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 21:57:43 -1000
One last comment and then I'll quit. the REAL issue holding back cheap,
efficient, "green" transportation is the mixed mode of transport. for a car to
be safe it has to survive on a road with trucks and existing two ton cars --
which is the average weight of cars in America, from the 3,200 pound Honda
Accord (most popular car) to the 5500 pound F150. There's no way to be super
efficient when you have to move two tons to carry one person--which is all the
average car has in it (well, 1.24 occupants, but its close enough). One ton
per person is ridiculous, especially when you have to climb hills, two is
insane. Should be something more like two hundred pounds per person. Easy to
do with carbon fiber and modern electric stuff. My tricycle weighs 65 pounds
and goes 65 MPH. Stops on a dime and gives you seven cents change. Of course
you have to be crazy to do that in mixed traffic, which is pretty much what
the cops have been telling me each time they catch me.

Next time you're stuck in traffic, picture all those massive cars replaced
with tiny, light, two person vehicles. Poof, traffic jam gone. Except in
Italy, where it's already happened but the roads were built for bicycles--or
maybe scooters.
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive